Circular silver-gilt and cloisonné enamel lobed bowl with four ball feet, concave circular inside. Interior has eight panels alternating with flowers and birds, emanating from the centre, the interior base has an image of a stylised exotic bird. The exterior is similarly decorated. Along the upper rim is a band of zigzag ornament.
Khlebnikov, an Imperial Russian jewellery firm, was founded circa 1865 by Ivan Khlebnikov (1819-1881) in St.Petersburg, but transferred to Moscow in 1871. The firm was famous for producing silver items of originality and highest quality decorated in the traditional Russian style. The firm produced silverware for Imperial palaces in Gatchina and St.Petersburg (1870’s). The firm gained international acclaim receiving numerous awards at Russian and world art fairs. In 1879, Khlebnikov became the official purveyor to the Imperial court of Russia.