Rectangular silver plaque with rounded corners, the top is surmounted with a Russian Imperial crown with blue enamel ribbons. The plaque is engraved with the battleship “Almaz” (Raw Diamond) and inscription in dark blue champlevé enamel, borders applied with knotted ropework and anchors.
The obverse reads: Second-class cruiser armed with eight guns / Almaz / with 3285 tons draft and 7500 units installed power / Constructed in St. Petersburg Baltic Works and Mechanical Works of the Maritime Ministry, 12th September, 1902 in the presence of Their Imperial Majesties, The Emperor, the Empress Alexandra Fedorovna and Maria Fedorovna.
The reverse reads: Director of the Maritime Ministry, Adjutant-General Pavel Petrovich Tyrtov, Chairman of the Maritime Technical Committee, Vice-Admiral Dubasov, Director of the Chief Directorate of Supplies and Shipbuilding, Lieutenant-General Lyubimov, Inspector-in-Chief of Shipbuilding, Inspector of Shipbuilding Kuteinikov, Chairman of the Board of the Baltic Works, Lieutenant-General Lavrov, Director of the Baltic Works, General-Major Ratnik, Builder, Senior Assistant to the Shipbuilder, Moiseev.
Such plaques were commemoratives of the beginning of the ship’s construction and were presented to dignitaries participating in the ceremony. Similar plaques are in the collections of the Hillwood Museum in Washington, D.C., Central Navy Museum and Fabergé Museum both in St.Petersburg.
The firm of Morozov was founded in St.Petersburg in 1849 and soon became an official purveyor to the Imperial Russian court. Primarily a retail enterprise, Morozov’s firm also manufactured silverware and enamels.