Sir Andrew Noble, 1st Bt. of Ardmore (1831–1915), son of George Noble, and his wife Margery, daughter of Archibald Campbell, presented by their children and grandchildren in 1904 at Chillingham Castle for their golden wedding anniversary, then by descent
An Edward VII massive gold presentation cup of slightly tapering cylindrical form on a spreading stepped foot, with its lower body and scrolling handles chased with acanthus leaves and the upper part applied with a laurel-chased band. Underneath the foot engraved with a presentation inscription, marked near the handle, the foot further stamped ‘R&S Garrard & Co., Haymarket London’. Contained in its original fitted oak case and with an ebonised wooden stand.
The cup’s design emulates the famous Bowes Cup, probably the earliest surviving gold race trophy, dated around 1675–66, now held in the V&A in London.