A large silver-gilt picture frame set in a wooden panel with translucent light blue opalescent enamel over wavy sunburst guilloche pattern, the rectangular aperture with a beaded border. The indented sides of the frame richly decorated with a bow and laurel leaf branches enveloping the reeded ribbon-tied exterior border.
Julius Alexandrovitch Rappoport (1851-1917), one of Fabergé’s rare craftsmen of Jewish origin, was apprenticed in Berlin, opened a workshop in St.Petersburg 1883-4 and was under exclusive contract. He is best known for his naturalistic animal figures but also executed special commissions for the Imperial family and the Imperial Cabinet. His workshop was taken over by the First Silver Artel around 1909.