Charles Frederick Kandler was one of the eighteenth century’s most renowned silversmiths, yet his identity remains shrouded in mystery. He is first mentioned in the 1727 register of the Goldsmiths’ Company in London as a ‘largeworker’, based at St Martin’s Lane, with a partner, James Murray. His name occurs again in 1735, recorded as a goldsmith in Jermyn Street near St James’s church; the register names another Charles Frederick Kandler (known as Frederick), possibly a cousin or nephew, at the same address. German-born, Charles Kandler is known for a small amount of elaborately-wrought silver (including tureens, salvers and candlesticks).
Please use the box below to search for specific terms